Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air or Ram Air Intake - will this improve power?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Cold Air or Ram Air Intake - will this improve power?

hey,

ive got a 18rg with twin weber's and i was wondering if i feed a pipe from under the front bar to the air filters will this improve performance or anything in anyway?

thanks

Jai

Longs to be a Conversion King RObErT_RaTh's Avatar

Default Re: will this improve power?

Quote Originally Posted by JAIFRESH
    hey,
    ive got a 18rg with twin weber's and i was wondering if i feed a pipe from under the front bar to the air filters will this improve performance or anything in anyway?
    Cold Air Intake? It couldn't hurt mate, you probably won't notice a huge difference but it might make a small small power increase.

Photographer and Backyard Mechanic Rinmax's Avatar

Trial and error is a good way to find a little more out fo your car. You have noting to lose from this and if you dont like it afterwards just take it back out.

I could think of worse ways to spend your time.

Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.
    "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." - JM

"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of god while a Porsche is a Beetle with mustard up its bottom." - JC

will do thanks!

jaifresh

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Make sure you put a box around the air filters, otherwise you are just blowing air past them, not ramming it down the engine's neck. Make the inlet as big as you can.

Although it may not seem like you get more power out, what it should do is reduce the amount of knocking, allowing better timing to be run, and open up the power at higher speeds, when the air ram is doing its job (most sports motorbikes and jet aircraft use this principle). You should be able to get better highway economy too.

How much of a difference depends on how well your engine is tuned.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

is ther anyone in melbourne that can tune my 18rg properly and tell me whats wrong with my ta22 mechanically for a good price?

because i went to a guy in richmond and he said it doesnt need tuning but i rekon the engine is rooted.....

thanks

Jaifresh

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

motor is rooteD? well do a TK or compression test to rule out the motor being stuffed.. that way you can be sure the smoke coming out of the exhaust is not coz it's burning oil but rather throwing away petrol ..

and tuning a carbie is fairly easy for the experienced mechanic.. there are a lot of them around the south eastern suburbs i know of..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

i reckon that a CAI is more beneficial for night times, when the outside temperature is cooler... this is because the engine bay is always warm when teh engine is running, so you should feel the best performance "increase" during the cooler times.
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Does your engine blow smoke?? if so, under what conditions, and what colour is it?? Itll be a white/blue colour if its oil, and a black colour if its fuel.

Tuning twin carbies is DIFFICULT even for an experienced mechanic (unless they have dealt with twin carbs a lot before). Your best bet with the 18RG is to get a 2 slot manometer (dual vacuum guage), and the 18RG green bible (Toyota factory rebuild/tuning manual, they crop up on Ebay occasionally), plus a good timing light.

You will also want to tune the cams if it has the adjustable gears. Ive done a writeup on these forums on how to do that, search the forums and you should find it.

Vios is right, that you should do a compression test before you write the motor off as stuffed. The compression should be about 130PSI ish per cylinder at cranking speed from memory. This sounds low, but you need to remember that these engines have a lot of valve overlap, which drops the dynamic compression.

Hope this helps, these engines can be quite finniky, but you can learn how to tune them properly at home... I did.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

thanks heaps..

jaifresh

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAIFRESH
    is ther anyone in melbourne that can tune my 18rg properly and tell me whats wrong with my ta22 mechanically for a good price?

because i went to a guy in richmond and he said it doesnt need tuning but i rekon the engine is rooted.....

thanks

Jaifresh
    Mammi motors did an excelent job re-jetting my webers and have a good name for this but i've got mates who aren't happy with there general mechanical work. Sam at Little Sam's service station in collingwood is good at balancing the idle mixture by ear if thats all your after though.

And 130PSI does sound low. My 3/2TG hybrid pulled 175 wet with big cames.

And do let us know how the CAI works. I've been thinking of putting one on my 22 but i don't want to box off the webers and kill the noise they make. Kinda sad i know but i just love the sound of them.
    Last edited by Turdinator; 12-01-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: After thoughts

Turd man, the 130-140 was on a freshly run in motor, with a lot more than standard overlap on the cams. All depends on the duration you run... theres a lot of info on cam tuning out there. The higher the compression reading you get from the same motor with adjustable cams, the lower the rev range will be. My motor was set up for peak power close to 7krpm

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i think the CAI is more beneficial in hot weather... wil help to reduce engine temps instead of pulling in 60-80deg air from the engine bay... worth a few deg difference in the radiator
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    i think the CAI is more beneficial in hot weather... wil help to reduce engine temps instead of pulling in 60-80deg air from the engine bay... worth a few deg difference in the radiator
    Id agree, and for the same reason, be cautious about advancing the timing much based on reduced intake temps with CAI on atmo's, or better said, tune to the worst conditions - a real hot day, which is probly something like an average day (the day you tune) without the CAI.

In saying that, well sealed around the filter, CAI can work real good - as per OWEN, but this is a long way from the typical ag-pipe job that is all too common, which might (no promises) on a cold night yield results that feel something like changing old oil.

The simple answer is; probably a bit, but it's just a bit of fun to kill time unless you do it well & you've got someone skilled at your disposal to wrangle some kW's outta the tune. Which makes you ask how highly tuned it is now?

Done a comp test yet?
    meh...

nope where do i get one done and its got a yamaha head on it i believe.

thanks

Jai